Thursday, February 7, 2008

Super Awesome: Hot Chip, "Made in the Dark"

so, thanks to my super awesome internets browsing skillz, last night i stocked up on new music. not neccessarily newly released, but new-to-me music. hurrah. however, one of the new-all-around albums i managed to get my greedy little paws on was the new Hot Chip.

this has been a highly anticipated release in my world; Ange brought Hot Chip into my life sometime last year and Tom, Leigh, Ange and I danced are asses off at the 930 Club show last spring. (Ange later got up close and personal with "Big" Al...and has photographic proof...but that's neither here nor there). I obsessively listen to Dj Kicks and The Warning and was so super duper stoked when I found out they were working on a new album. especially when i read a post on their myspace blog a while back that mentioned that wrestling was the main theme. (March 23, 2007 blog...).

so, i've been impatiently waiting...tapping my foot, drumming my fingers, scanning the web for accidentally leaked tracks, etc. bought my tickets to the show at the Vic in April, was pleased to see them on the Coachella lineup...and finally, finally, I have gotten my hands on the album.

i'd read contradicting reviews--some saying it was the ultimate dance party, others saying it was a more rock infused record than The Warning. and then i heard the "Made in the Dark" single and was slightly put off by its lullaby-ish sound...needless to say, i was chomping at the bit for its US release.

i got it last night and put it on for my trek to work. standing on the platform, listening to the first track, "Out At the Pictures" i was fighting every urge in my body to not just bust out and shake my ass. "Ready for the Floor" also brought this reaction. and i discovered that ALL of the reviews i'd read were correct. it is ultra dance-y (thank christ), and does has more rock elements. and there are a coupla slowish songs. (slow, not boring).

i'm currently on my second full listen of the album and i'm loving every second of it. so amped on the Vic show in April... gotta find good dancing shoes because lord knows it will be the dance party of the century. (besides, perhaps, the Week of Awesome, Part Deux in March: Simian Mobile Disco, Digitalism, Diplo AND Justice...all within 7 days of eachother. are you effing kidding me?!)

i'm also loving the clever lyrics on this album. i must say, i'm smitten over "Wrestlers", with lyrics like:

"Here we come, drop kick/Half nelson, full nelson, Willie Nelson, Willie Nelson/Body slam, suplex, Headlock, somer-slam/Elbow drop, jelly-flop/Cage match, grudge match"

i've also found my new motto. maybe. whatever, i love this line from "Hold On":

"I'm only going to heaven/If it feels like Hell/I'm only going to Heaven/If it tastes like caramel"

anyway, long story short: this album is fucking awesome. you really should get it and listen to it and dance to it. and buy tickets to see them when they tour. it's gonna be the sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. best believe.

No comments: