Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Super Awesome: MGMT

ahhh...it was only a matter of time before i waxed poetic on MGMT (pronounced The Management, for people like my darling Eric). i've been hearing the whispers, seeing things written places about 'em, and just hadn't really found the time/couldn't remember to check 'em out. i finally did. i'm not sure really what prompted me. it was sometime like 3 weeks ago or so...maybe...something like that...? whatever. and i am extremely late to this party. i know. whatevs though. music is music. and somehow, like cosmically or something, MGMT found its way into my ears at precisely the right moment in time.

you know, i don't know all that much about 'em [besides the fact the album cover for Oracular Spectaular (seriously? how fucking brilliant and wonderful is that title? i.love.it.) is sort of like, one of the hottest things i've laid my eyes upon...] and i'm not going to pretend that i do. you just really really really REALLY need to check them out.

mild electronic shit...instruments...i can't really put my finger directly on their sound (a good thing, i suppose), but i'm currently blown away by their lyrics. (what can i say? words get me.) thematically it seems as though MGMT is going through a quarter-life crisis/coming of age type situation. or maybe i feel that way because i think i am doing just that, and have magically and self-obsessively equated every utterance to myself and my life. i mean, like, it IS all about me, right? (btw, i stand firm in my belief that with music all that really does matter is what it means to the listener--trust me, zach and i have gotten into heated debates about this, mainly in regards to LCD's "All My Friends" versus "Someone Great." and, again, i don't care what anyone says, what critics say, or how trite and cliche "All My Friends" is; it is like, one of my defining songs of '07. it sort of epitomizes exactly the thoughts traveling through my head during this past year.)

alas. i digress.

MGMT makes songs that sound good, that i would dance to (well, some anyways...), and songs that, for some reason or another, have this incredibly apropos and profound way of affecting me right now. simply put: i'm so emo for MGMT. (we're talkin like, Smiths style emo here...it's real bad...).

i cannot name a favorite tune--all i know is that "Electric Feel" is kinda sexy and that "Destrokk" has me inexplicably entranced. do ya'self a favor: buy, borrow, or steal some MGMT soon. and then lock yourself in your room and write in journal.

No comments: